HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Which willow to plantWhich willow to plant
Previous

Next
New Post
11/8/2013 1:42 PM

Which willow to plant  (United States)
In our well house is our water filter and iron removal system. Every night it cycles through and rinses itself out. The rinse water is popped out the back onto the ground. We recently decided that this would be a good place to plant a willow tree so it take advantage of the this "grey water". We want the will for looks and for craft materials. Oh yeah for medicinal purposes as well.
What kind of willow should we plant? Any ideas out there. We want it to get fairly big.

New Post
11/8/2013 2:20 PM

Re: Which willow to plant  (United States)
I would suggest European Basketry willow. I can provide you with cuttings. It can be used for craft, coppice and medicine. Gets 15-20 feet high and approximately 12 feet in diameter if it is left to it's own "devices".

New Post
11/8/2013 4:35 PM

Do I need to wait until spring to root and plant?

New Post
11/9/2013 6:53 AM

Yes

New Post
11/9/2013 8:34 AM

I'll be visiting you in the spring then if not before. BTW, give me a date you come and visit.

New Post
1/27/2014 2:25 AM

Last year I purchased 12 willow plants from Dunbar Gardens. All but 2 took right off. I plan to use them for basketry. Once well established I will cut them to the ground every winter. Some of the coppiced willow whips will be used as nursery stock, some for chipped-up ramial wood mulch and the rest for baskets. They will grow back as healthy shrubs with long straight wood that's also good for weaving wattle fences. I got 4 varieties, three whips of each type. Dunbar Gardens has a good website and their order processing and shipping is quick.
I ordered Dark Dicks, Polish Purple, a variety named Eugenia, and Noir de Villainess. Total price was $30.
Their number is: 360-428-3076.

Annie M

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Which willow to plantWhich willow to plant

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org