HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Chicken FeedChicken Feed
Previous

Next
New Post
9/21/2013 9:59 PM

Chicken Feed  (United States)

A complaint that was discussed at the Howard Vlieger GMO talk and repeated at INPC was the lack of Local, Organic, and/or Non-GMO chicken feed. I did a little homework and came up with a few good sources of feed.

The best is a guy in Nine Mile Falls named Rich. He brings feed in from Montana that is Certified Organic. He will meet people in town once a week. I pay him about $25.00 for a 50 pound bag. His email is tessierrich@yahoo.com Here is his craigslist ad:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/grq/401...

The next good source is out between Nine Mile Falls and Airway Heights. They are NOT certified organic, but their raw material is sourced locally. They try to get Non-GMO or organic material when possible, but do not make any guarantees. They mill it at their farm. This was the cheapest source at about $13.00 per 50 pound bag. Here is their website:

http://www.naturalfarmfeed.com/

I spoke with the folks at Nine Mile Feed and Hardware as well. He contacted his distributor for me and said that they would be able to start ordering in Certified Organic, Non-GMO feed in early October. He is supposed to give me a call when he can get some in. No idea what the price will be yet.

Lastly, if you are more concerned about local sourcing than the organic/gmo issue, I was told to check out the Spokane Hutterian Bretheren. I called them and was told that they do mill grain that they grow themselves. I have not yet pursued this one enough to find out growing practices or pricing.

New Post
9/21/2013 10:06 PM

Re: Chicken Feed  (United States)
How is buying organic chicken feed self-sustainable?

New Post
9/21/2013 10:21 PM

merlinuhl wrote:
How is buying organic chicken feed self-sustainable?

As Toby Hemenway said at INPC, the goal should not be individual self-sufficiency in complete isolation, but rather community self-sufficiency. That is why I am including locally grown sources that are not necessarily organic or non-GMO, along with sources that may not be as close, but have growing practices that folks here would prefer.

New Post
9/22/2013 8:25 AM

Indeed!

Looking at it from a Permaculture design perspective, multiple sources of chicken feed are better than one, even if that one is your own garden. We need to help create local commerce which supports sustainability by enhancing local self-sufficiency. Keep in mind that The Perfect is the enemy of The Good, and that The Good can be improved in steps. Also, The Perfect is a chimera.

If you do not engage with the commercial sphere, you cannot influence it to any degree. For example, if you eschew meat entirely, you are less effective at changing animal husbandry practices than if you buy meat from people who raise and kill animals ethically. If you buy "sort-of" organic, non-GMO feed, you signal merchants that there is demand for this, and because they want your money, they may find a source of Cert. Organic, non-GMO feed... which, incidentally, encourages farmers to grow such crops.  Every purchase is a moral decision... there is no morally neutral way to spend money.

New Post
9/22/2013 5:10 PM

What are you saying with this question that everyone should just grow all of their own feed? I don't understand this question. Is it rhetorical?

New Post
9/6/2014 4:01 PM

Thanks for this info, Eric.

Annie M

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Chicken FeedChicken Feed

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org