HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Organic fertilizer mixOrganic fertilizer mix
Previous

Next
New Post
4/9/2014 1:58 PM

Organic fertilizer mix  (United States)
Does anyone have a formula, BY WEIGHT, for a 16-16-16 organic fertilizer that THEY HAVE MADE? Although we have taken to heart the biological gardening approach, I still need a general purpose fertilizer for other uses. Thanks.

New Post
4/9/2014 2:12 PM

Re: Organic fertilizer mix  (United States)
What's it for?

New Post
4/9/2014 2:30 PM

You might try a vineyard supplier.

New Post
4/9/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Organic fertilizer mix  (United States) Modified By Thom  on 4/9/2014 5:03:06 PM
As clarification, I do not want to buy any. I want to make my own for straw bales, barren soil and anything else I think needs a broad-spectrum fertilizer. Once I get the mix for 16-16-16, then I can extrapolate and make custom mixes. This is NOT for general use in my garden.

New Post
4/9/2014 4:09 PM

This might help...
http://www.lundproduce.com/N-P-K-Value-of-Everything.html

New Post
4/9/2014 4:58 PM

Well what do you have to use that you don't have to buy then?

Sean

N. Spokane

New Post
4/9/2014 5:24 PM

I'm using chickens to amend my garden and pasture. My hope is to impart the nutrients from the feed I give them. An example would be selenium. I also get the benefit of nitrogen and other nutrients. Perhaps you could build an npk feed?

New Post
4/9/2014 5:37 PM

Beautiful. A great list. Thanks.

New Post
4/9/2014 5:41 PM

Re: Organic fertilizer mix  (United States) Modified By HerrGothic  on 4/9/2014 6:43:36 PM

hmm, that list seems reasonable

New Post
4/9/2014 7:50 PM

I got an email regarding a follow-on post that Sean wrote.  I don't see it on this subject line.  Here's what I saw...

by HerrGothic On 4/9/2014 6:41:46 PM  
New post in Spokane Permaculture:

there is no way to know what's in it without testing it, but here is a sight with some number you could at least try using, i am sure these chicken are the normal higlhly sick and malnourished kind being fed cardboard, corn, soy, and what other garbage the grower can possibly find.. You can pick one that seem sort of like yours and you can see the NPK values given for them .

http://www.soil.ncsu.edu/publications/Soilfacts/AG-439-05/

There are some interesting things in the link that Sean posted.  I think it's important to be aware that your amendment efforts may not work, depending on circumstances (ammonia breaking down before it makes it into the soil, etc).

Thom, I don't know if this affects your fertilizer plans.  I knew that nitrates broke down easily, but didn't realize how quickly it happens.

New Post
4/16/2014 4:21 PM

Don't feed the plants...feed the soil and it will feed the plants. Provide a bacterially enriched environment for vegetables and grasses. Provide a fungally enriched environment for woody growth. When you plant trees add mychorizal fungi to the back filled hole. When you plant veg add manures and compost. If you know what your chickens are eating then you'll know they are producing an enriched manure fore your garden. Do not use fresh manure on any plant that touches the soil such as carrots, spuds, lettuce, greens of any kind. Only use aged manure for those crops. Get a lot of humus into your soil to hold onto moisture and keep the nutrients in suspension and available to your

Annie M

New Post
4/16/2014 4:29 PM

Sorry.. I apparently hit submit before completing my thoughts. I strongly recommend the book Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfels. You will never garden the same again. It fully explain what I only touched on. Another good book is by Gene Logsdon. It is called All flesh is Grass.

Annie M

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Organic fertilizer mixOrganic fertilizer mix

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org