HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...rock dustrock dust
Previous

Next
New Post
4/7/2014 2:01 PM

rock dust  (United States)
I talked to Spokane Rock Products and asked if they have rock dust. I mentioned that it is added to the soil in gardening. He said that they have piles but that it is "sterile", he has never seen anything grow on it. "It's just basalt and granite dust", he said. I briefly tried to explain it's purpose but he didn't get it. He was thinking NPK instead of remineralization. So, it seems they have some but do not know what it is or what it is used for. This represents an opportunity. I am going to their yard out on Rathdrum Prairie to look at it. If it is what we need I am going to get a load, maybe for free. I will report back later.

New Post
4/8/2014 9:20 AM

Re: rock dust  (United States)
Thom, This could be a valuable resource esp. since rock dust is so heavy, finding a local source would save a lot of money and energy. Both basalt and granite dust would be ideal amendments. However, you should be on the look out for contamination by hydraulic fluid.

New Post
4/8/2014 9:27 AM

good point about the contamination. Thanks for pointing that out. I will look at their yard, their dust pile(s), get a sample and see if I can get it tested for cheap. I'll let you know.

New Post
4/8/2014 10:33 AM

I got some updates I can add to this if I remember once I get home.

Sean
N. Spokane

New Post
4/8/2014 10:40 PM

This is what I have in my notes, I sent all of these messages out in the last four weeks.

Spokane rock - FAIL
Action Materials - emailed
Loon lake Sand & Gravel - glacial till sand and gravel only - will give sample
central pre-mix - FAIL
Circle M -
spokane landscape - emailed
basin sod and gravel - messaged
mood rock - emailed
sunrise inc - messaged
gravel shop - messaged

New Post
4/8/2014 10:42 PM

I also found that you can get Basalt Rock Dust from Cascade minerals. I emailed them and found out:

2000 lb totes for $304.50. Can be picked up at the factory in Madras, OR. Anyone want to drive to Madras?

Sean

N. Spokane

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...rock dustrock dust

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org