HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Need Help Learning to Prune Fruit Trees Need Help Learning to Prune Fruit Trees
Previous

Next
New Post
2/15/2014 10:24 AM

Hello All,

As I was standing outside with my pruning saw and clippers I must admit that I am paralyzed with fear.  Something like I felt as a young father thinking that everything I did with my children would effect them for the rest of their life.

While I have read the pruning books I cannot translate the brain knowledge to confident action.   I am sure that I am not alone.  I would like to find someone willing to help me prune my 2 year old trees.  I would be willing to pay or work trade.   For the right teacher  I would be willing to host a Pruning Workshop to spread the skills and costs around.

Any ideas or volunteers?  Is there anyone else who would be interested in this?

Thanks, Mike

New Post
2/15/2014 10:46 AM

Hi Mike,

I have been prunning espaliear trees for a few years now and I think I finally have a grasp on it. I will need to talk to my wife about making some time but I may be able to come by tomorrow.

Sean

New Post
2/15/2014 10:54 AM

Great! Thanks Sean. I am not doing any espaliear'... yet but I am interested. In my case they are all in my Food Forest Zones and I want to help shape them for their future productivity.

I would be glad to come to your house first to see what you are doing and then come here. I am overdue for a visit to your place anyway. :)

MIke

New Post
2/15/2014 11:04 AM

Hi Mike,

You are always welcome and... as you are well aware I still have your broadfork, not that there is anything I can do with it. I was thinking of getting a magna grecia hoe, have you seen those? Please give me a call tomorrow, I won't know what's up over here until my wife gets home from work this evening.

Sean

New Post
2/15/2014 11:17 AM

As a matter of fact I have a magna grecia hoe. I am happy to show it to you and talk about my experience. However since I know that you have rocky soil it may not be what you are looking for. the long teeth are strong but easy to bend when you catch a big rock and put too much leverage on it. It is better for preparing sod/grass soil. We can talk more tomorrow about it then.

New Post
2/15/2014 3:32 PM

that would be good to know. I am hoping that the broadfork will have helped me get most of the offending ones identified and so i can move to the magna grecia hoe, perhaps that is not ideal over here? We can talk about it more tomorrow.

sean

New Post
2/20/2014 8:05 AM

Wow! I gotta give a shout out to my new pruning mentor Sean (HerrGothic) for jumping out there right away when I needed him.

We started at his garden and he's got hugelbeds, espaliered apple trees surrounding a huge French style garden with bordered beds a greenhouse and more. I also learned that he is very deep into the "Biologic Gardening" approach. Perhaps we could get him to give us all an overview sometime.

He came over to my place and walked me through some pruning concepts, demonstrated some cuts and helped sooth my fears that I could possible ruin my babies for all time. Once we had done several trees with different configurations I was ready to move forward.

Sean, you are a good patient communicator and instructor. Thanks for being a good neighbor when I needed it.

New Post
2/20/2014 9:23 AM

Mike you are too kind. Did you manage to finish the rest of your trees?

Sean

New Post
2/20/2014 9:58 PM

Hi Mike,

I started a blog to show what the gardens doing and my attempts to grow high quality food, check it out here:
http://blamingnature.wordpress.com/

Sean

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Need Help Learning to Prune Fruit Trees Need Help Learning to Prune Fruit Trees

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org