HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Rainwater Harvesting in WashingtonRainwater Harvesting in Washington
Previous

Next
New Post
1/30/2014 9:28 AM

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to ask a question. I am moving to the Spokane area this summer, and was told by a family member that Washington State had water 'rights' to the rainwater. I asked the internet about this and found questionable but supporting evidence and this makes it seem likes 'ok' to harvest the rainwater;     http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/hq/rwh.html 

So my question to you folks who live in Washington is this, Is harvesting rainwater an issue for anyone? Or has it been an issue? 

It seems they fear a future problem with roof top and guzzler collection methods as well?  http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/rules/images/pdf/pol1017.pdf

New Post
1/30/2014 5:11 PM

My interpretation, based on my conversations with Washington Dept. of Ecology, is that rooftop water harvesting is a de minimus use and that this is extremely unlikely to change.

New Post
1/30/2014 8:34 PM

The law prohibiting rainwater collection, yes there was actually a law against it, was rescinded by the state legislature in 2012.

New Post
1/30/2014 9:07 PM

Welcome to Spokane-good luck in your moving.

I was told there was a law passed last year that no longer prevented people from collecting rain water. Also there is a governmental push to reduce rain from going into the storm drains. 

Torie

New Post
2/4/2014 5:02 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded! I'm glad I can cross this one off my list. Does anyone here actively harvest rainwater? I am looking to try out a variety of methods, from catching it off the roof to storing it in a cistern.

New Post
2/4/2014 12:01 PM

I do, although my system is in transition to more, larger tanks.

New Post
2/4/2014 3:20 PM

@edbryant
Are you catching off your roof? Or harvesting by another means?

New Post
2/5/2014 6:33 AM

I'm collecting from an asphalt shingle roof.

New Post
2/5/2014 8:35 AM

I have put gutters on almost every surface that has any collection capabilities. This includes my small, 10x10 chicken coop. They drain into 50 gal, food-grade plastic barrels located where I use them. I also bought 2- 275gal food-grade IPC totes from an outfit in Athol, Idaho for $125 each. I built 3 ft stands to set them on and even with this low of a "head" I can still fill a 5-gal bucket in about 2 minutes. Finally, I am digging small, 10k gal "pondettes" that will eventually fill up from rain/runoff/well inputs. The dry spell here in the summer pretty much precludes this amount of water from meeting my irrigation needs but does meet low-use needs like chickens, bucket irrigation, compost tea, washing and cleaning. I still have to use my 17 gal/minute well for irrigation. I can also use it for drinking after I filter it if necessary. All totalled, I usually have 1000 gals on hand at any one time. Future plans include 3 more IPC totes for down in the garden and a larger pond, above our house, for gravity feed, low-pressure irrigation. Hope this helps.

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Rainwater Harvesting in WashingtonRainwater Harvesting in Washington

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org