HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Water storage optionsWater storage options
Previous

Next
New Post
7/8/2015 10:41 AM

Water storage options  (United States)
---I have a delimma. It concerns water storage methods. Here goes. As I look at projections for our area(Spokane-17" precip/yr) for climate change I see a longer, hotter dry spell. What precip falls will fall earlier, further away from our growing season. For me this means I have to capture as much of it as possible and store it. BTW, I live on a hillside (5-15 degree slope) in a pine forest.
---My storage options are small ponds that will have to lined in my case, plastic water storage tanks, stainless steel water tanks or concrete tanks. Here is the dilemma: if I go with ponds I will have to line them with a plastic liner that contains BPA or BPC that will leach into the water. All current plastic tanks have either BPA or BPC that will leach into the water especially as it warms. Stainless steel is hellishly expensive but is the safest choice. Concrete tanks need to lined with, you guessed it, either sprayon sealer or plastic liner both of which contain those compounds.
---What choices are others out there making? Am I missing some choices?

New Post
7/8/2015 10:55 AM

Re: Water storage options  (United States)

Hi Thom,

I was unaware that PE and LDPE liners had BPA/BPC. My understanding was that they were free of both compounds.

New Post
7/8/2015 12:44 PM

My understanding is that all of the bisphenols (not just BPA) and most phenol compounds in general have estrogenic activity when consumed. Some types of plastic, including the polyethylenes, do not have phenol groups in their chemical structure. However, other toxic chemicals used in the manufacturing can still be present in the end product. From what I've read of the polyethylene compounds, HDPE and LDPE are safe, however, PET or PETE will leach toxic chemicals. Other types of plastic also have been found to leach phthalates, styrenes, and toxic gik you don't want inside you. We are using food-grade medium-density polyethylene tanks for our rain catchment (Bushman BRTT-865). We started using these when our old well went dry. We were able to drain them for the winter since the fall rains kept the well alive through the freezing season. The spring rains were enough to fill the tanks for the summer. Now that we have a new well, we will continue to use these for irrigation when the pond drops below our irrigation pump intake in late summer.

New Post
7/8/2015 6:02 PM

Since I posted I also found BPA/BPC-free tanks for about $.50/gal. Shipping is probably a killer but still might work. Eric your tanks are BPA/BPC free? You are satisfied with their safety? Ed, those tanks you have are the same and same question to you? Thanks you guys for your help.

New Post
7/9/2015 3:18 PM

Do food grade IBC [Intermediate Bulk containers] tanks have BPA issues? You can buy these used.

New Post
7/9/2015 3:18 PM

Do food grade IBC [Intermediate Bulk containers] tanks have BPA issues? You can buy these used.

New Post
7/9/2015 5:42 PM

I don't know. I hope not. 3 1/2 years ago I bought 2 food grade. That was before I knew about bi-phenols. I use that water mostly for chickens - mostly. Evidently my concerns have been addressed by industry and such water tanks are common and relatively inexpensive- $.60/gal or less.

New Post
7/13/2015 5:04 PM

I'm using a pond with pond liner. I don't know the toxicity.
I'm using culverts with the ends welded shut. I attempted to find the toxicity of galvanized metal but found little information.
I have broken basalt, but if I had earth, then I might use ducks to pat down the dirt to retain water.

New Post
7/13/2015 5:04 PM

I'm using a pond with pond liner. I don't know the toxicity.
I'm using culverts with the ends welded shut. I attempted to find the toxicity of galvanized metal but found little information.
I have broken basalt, but if I had earth, then I might use ducks to pat down the dirt to retain water.

New Post
7/14/2015 9:21 AM

This is probably a much longer term solution for pond construction but wanted to throw out the idea of using pigs. I understand that there are a lot of variables to look at if using a gley method - our general climate, soils, precip, $$$, time, but it would be interesting to see if anyone out there had thoughts on it. Here are the two links I found just doing a quick search: https://paulwheaton12.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/can-pigs-build-ponds/ & https://paulwheaton12.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/can-pigs-build-ponds/ Would be really cool to see the potential for success, realistic timeframe, and end $$ worth - both in terms of the water storage and potential meat production if someone gave it a shot. I did find one thread on using ferrocement for a pond liner but know even less about that.

Previous

Next
HomeHomePermaculture in...Permaculture in...Spokane Permacu...Spokane Permacu...Water storage optionsWater storage options

If you have any questions, comments or problems please contact us at
Support@SpokanePermaculture.org